Four-Track Digital Audio Recorder and USB Audio Interface from Tascam is the latest generation of professional handheld recorders and is the successor to Tascam's popular DR-40 recorder. The DR-40X features a pair of high-quality unidirectional stereo condenser microphones with variable X/Y or A/B configuration can be used to capture audio for voice recordings, dictations, meetings, and live music recording applications.
Dual Neutrik XLR/TRS combo jacks support both mic-level and +4 dBu line-level signals. The microphone preamp includes +48V phantom power to power condenser microphones as well as electret type microphones. The four-track recorder allows you to capture the ambient sound of the surroundings while recording direct from an external console. This is ideal for capturing live performances.
The DR-40X boasts a totally revamped user interface, making it easy to record, adjust levels, delete takes, add markers, and perform other common functions with just the click of a thumb. Multi-language menus in English, Spanish, French, Italian, German, Russian, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Portuguese are included.
Tascam's decades of expertise and innovation in computer-based recording incorporates a studio-quality 2-in/2-out USB audio interface making it a great fit for podcasting, digital audio workstations, and more. Other features include a bright-white backlit display that is easy to see in sunlight as well as dictation mode, which enables the user to jump-back audio playback including speed control and EQ.
Finally, an overwrite mode allows users to select a precise record drop-in time for replacement recordings with one level of undo. The audio record function can be set to begin recording when a sound is detected. The DR-40X Stereo Handheld Digital Audio Recorder with USB Audio Interface builds on the legacy of Tascam's handheld digital recorders.
- XLR/TRS inputs compatible with +4dBu line level / +48V
- 4-channel mode that can be used for dual recording and nondestructive overdub recording, etc.
- Support multiple languages for menu (ENG/FRA/DEU/ITA/ESP/RUS/PRT/JPN/CHI/KOR)
- Overwrite function for Punch-In recording with one level of Undo
- Functions as a 2in/ 2out USB Audio Interface for Mac, PC or iOS recording
- Dictation mode designed for human voice recording and transcription
- MS decoding function making it possible to use M-S microphones
- Optional RC-3F foot switch and RC-10 wired remote control can be connected
- Long-time operation of maximum 18 hours is possible using just the internal batteries
- Reverb effect
- Auto recording function
- Proven high sound pressure design for capturing loud sounds of up to 125dB SPL
- Peak reduction function that detects peaks and automatically sets the optimal level
- Self timer recording function
- Seamless gain control
- Low-cut filter with three levels (40/80/120Hz)
- Speed change (VSA) function for adjusting the speed from 0.5 to 1.5 times (in 0.1 increments)
- Level align feature that prevents uneven volume levels
- Equalizer setting for adjusting playback sound quality
- Divide/delete functions
- Loop/repeat playback function that is convention for practicing music and studying languages
- Resume function that retains the last stop position and starts playback from that position when power is turned back ON
- Jump-back playback function that skips back a preset number of seconds during playback
- QUICK menu button for easy access to various functions
- High-quality 24-bit/96kHz WAV/BWF linear PCM and MP3
- SD/ SDHC/ SDXC (up to 128GB) can be used for recording media
- Mark function that can set up to 99 points for a single track
- Audio files created on computers can be played (Only in formats compatible with this product)
- Built-in monaural speaker with an output of 0.3W
- Pre-recording buffer that can record up to 2 seconds prior to starting recording
- When a predetermined maximum file size is reached, a new file is created to continue recording
- Track increment creates new files at arbitrary locations during recording
- File name format can be set to use a user-defined word or the date
- The first six characters of the file name for recording can be set freely
- Playlist function
- A chromatic tuner is equipped which is helpful for practicing musical instruments
- Stereo mini line output / Headphone output connector
- 128×64 pixel graphic LCD with backlight
- High-speed file transfer to a computer using USB 2.0
- Powered by 3 AA batteries, USB bus power, or optional AC adapter (PS-P520E)
- Rubber feet for improving acoustic properties during desktop recordings are included
- Tripod attachment screw-hole built in to the unit
Professional I/O for Live Capture or Line-Level Input
Dual Neutrik XLR/TRS combo jacks support both mic-level and +4 dBu line-level inputs. The DR-40X can accept balanced microphone or line-level signals from mixers or the FOH console. The built-in microphone preamp includes +48V phantom power with plenty of gain for detailed recordings using condenser microphones as well as electret type microphones. Use the DR-40X's stereo built-in microphones to capture the ambient sound of your surroundings and record direct from an external console for capturing live performances.
Record Clean and Clear Audio Anywhere
The DR-40X allows high-quality recording with its stereo built-in condenser microphones. Every detail is captured from small whispers to loud sounds up to 125 dB SPL. These built-in microphones are adjustable unidirectional microphones for recording in an X/Y pattern for tight stereo imaging, or in an A/B pattern for a more ambient recording.
Easy to Operate
Tascam revamped the user interface, making it easy to record, adjust levels, delete takes, add markers, and perform other common functions with the click of a thumb. The DR-40X now includes a bright-white backlit display that's easy to see even in the brightest sunlight.
Turn Your Room into a Studio in a Minute
The DR-40X taps into Tascam's decades of innovation in computer-based recording, incorporating a studio-quality 2 in/2 out USB audio interface making the DR-40X a perfect fit for live streaming, podcasting, and digital audio workstations. Built-in microphones operate as USB microphones without complicated settings.
Multi-Language Interface Inside
Multi-language menus in English, Spanish, French, Italian, German, Russian, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, and Portuguese are included.
Dictation Mode for Easy Voice Recording and Transcription Playback
Writing down what you hear is easier said than done, but it is easy with the DR-40X. In addition to its capability to capture crisp voice recording, the DR-40X can help you with its instant jump-back function, variable-speed function, and equalizer preset designed for the human voice.
Safety Track for Unpredictable Situations
Film-makers and videographers often experience sudden audio volume spikes during filming. The DR-40X has a dual-recording mode that captures a copy of your take but at a lower level, as a safety track in case of sudden distortion.
Four-Track Recording Mode Gives You Several Record Options
In addition to normal stereo-channel recording and dual-recording modes, the DR-40X has 4CH Mode that can record two different stereo feeds simultaneously. The combination of the sources are flexible; record with the built-in microphones along with a pair of external mics such as close-up and ambient microphones; or record with the built-in mics along with a balanced line input such as the feed from a mixer along with the sound in the environment.
Never Miss a Take
The DR-40X is equipped with an auto-recording functionality to automatically start recording when an input signal is detected and peak reduction technology to guard against sudden spikes in loudness. Recording modes include an overwrite mode. This allows users to select a precise record drop-in time for replacement recording with one-level of undo and nondestructive overdubbing to record new sounds onto an existing recording while leaving the original file unaffected.
Record Higher Quality for Longer
The DR-40X supports studio-quality linear PCM recordings up to 96 kHz / 24-bit WAV/BWF format as well as the memory-friendly MP3 format. With extended battery life and increased capacity for microSDXC cards up to 128 GB, the DR-40X recorder can literally record for days on end.